PBS Parents has launched a new blog that focuses on “spreading the fun and love of children’s books,” Booklights. The blog’s contributors (Susan, Pam and Jen) have started off by listing their 10 favorite picture books. I loved reading their lists, so I was inspired to try and do the same. Easier said than done! After thinking about it, I discovered that my favorites tend to either be books that I loved reading aloud to students as an elementary librarian (many years ago!) or ones that I have fond memories of sharing with my niece and nephew, who are now 15 and 16.
Here is my list (in no particular order):
1. George and Martha by James Marshall
2. King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub by Don and Audrey Wood
3. Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
4. Verdi by Janelle Cannon
5. Humbug Witch by Lorna Balian
6. Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
7. Rumplestiltskin by Paul O. Zelinsky
8. Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathman
9. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
10. Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing by Judi and Ron Barrett
What are your favorite picture books?